Thursday, March 2, 2017

Virginia Woolf's Garden

'... what has the deepest and most permanent effect upon oneself and one's way of living is the house in which one lives. The house determines the day-to-day, hour-to-hour, minute-to-minute quality, colour, atmosphere, pace of one's life; it is the framework of what one does, of what one can do, and of one's relations with people.' 
-Leonard Woolf

Ah, music to my ears! I am thoroughly enjoying reading this book!



A wonderful story about the creation of the garden at Monk's House. I am enjoying learning about the history of the couple when they purchased this home during the time whenVirginia Woolf was becoming a prolific writer.  A good read about the development of a modest garden/home morphing into a quaint and intimidate space with winding paths and secret rooms. 
Sigh...
I'm dreaming of Spring.


It is that time of year where I find myself window gardening and buying cut flowers to tide me over. 


And I love a good book about people (especially famous artists) that have a genuine pride in their homes. 


I guess it was my Mom who instilled this in me. My Mom always made a home cozy, pretty and inviting.


So when I read the first page of this book with Leonard Woolf's quote?
Yes, this was the book for me! The story of Virginia and Leonard Woolf's cottage in the country with charming pictures. (While I'm dreaming of Spring of course)


'At moments it is divinely lovely here-
hot, birds, daffodils, blue sky' 
Virginia Woolf


Portraits of ponds, apple orchards, vegetable gardens, paved paths, and zinnias. 
Spring will be here soon. In the meantime, this book is amazing! 


I highly recommend it! ;)









No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace