Sunday, November 4, 2012

Today's post is about an older couple that I met when I went to their yard sale. I was leaving my graduate course one Saturday feeling completely overwhelmed by life and the speed of it all. It was one of those times when I finally got to my car and the tears just started flowing. Ever have one of those?? I decided to get off the main road wondering if the on coming traffic could see. I pulled off on a dirt road and pulled over. Needless to say I just had a good cry. When I finally let it all out, I looked up and saw a yard sale sign. I love yard sales so I thought... what the heck.
It was there that I met the sweetest older couple.
They showed me around their yard sale like they were showing me around a fancy showroom. Somewhere in the conversation I told the couple how much I loved the forties and everything about it..... especially the music.
The woman then showed me these:



When I think of the forties I think that times were more simple back then. Women weren't expected to wear so many hats. After all they vacuumed in dresses and in the advertisements they made it look good! ( completely realize it wasn't really that way back then.) 
Take a look from my magazine
Really? pumps...a dress....and an apron?? Cleaning Toilets? Glamorous.

I told the couple that I would definitely take the magazines. Then the woman brought me to the corner of her garage and opened up a plastic container. She pulled out this....


A hostess set! A hostess set! Including a beautiful apron. She said it was her mother's, that she received as a wedding gift and that she was giving it to me because she knew I would appreciate it. 
I thanked the woman for everything, especially the conversation and I let her know that she completely turned my day around. Then, more tears.....

She then sold me a chair too.....

Which I painted and decided that every time I sit in it I will remember that nice couple who showed me around their yard sale. I'll probably listen to Ella Fitzgerald and think of a time that was more simple... and of course glamorous.... in my eyes anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace